Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Ask Micki: Tutee with a flu

Question: Hi, Micki.  I just got a voicemail message from my tutee (I tutor him in college level, elementary Spanish). 

He has a really nasty flu, and told me that it's the first day he's had it, and he feels terrible.  He also said that he doesn't want to cancel our session tonight.  I want to help him out with his Spanish, but I also don't want to get sick.  I am notorious for catching pretty much any flu bug that drifts my way. 

I also don't know how well he's going to hold up sitting upright at the dining table (where we usually work) for a 45 minute tutoring session.

What can I do?
Is there a way to help him without catching the flu?
I don't want to be rude, and make it sound like I don't want to be around his germy self.  I guess I am just not certain how to approach this nicely.

Thank you for your advice,
Justin (the flu catcher!)

Answer: Hi, Justin - I have to admit, you calling yourself a "flu catcher" made me laugh - I can relate! 

Here's what I would do, talk to Justin (either by phone or email).

Mention that sitting upright at a table for 45 minutes worth of session may not be as good for him as getting some rest, let him know that he is doing well with his Spanish and could skip a session (if it is true), offer to reschedule for a better time, mention how easily you catch flu bugs.  Those should be enough hints to take care of the situation.

If your tutee is really determined to be tutored tonight, see if you could set up a chat room, live chat through Google or Yahoo, opt for Skype, use AIM, or correspond via telephone for vocabulary drills.  You could even use one of the video chat software programs available to get more of an "in person" feel.  A friend of mine uses Yahoo video chat for a lot of her sessions.

You could also opt for a combination of the above - maybe try chatting while using the phone to listen to his accent/speaking. 

You get the idea - aim for tutoring him without getting too close.

Good luck, stay healthy, and happy tutoring!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo Credit: m0qks©
http://tiny.cc/m0qks

No comments:

Post a Comment