Sunday, June 20, 2010

Ask Micki: How to answer a rude, nosey question?

Question: Hi, Micki, I just came back from a family dinner, and I had a family member (he's kind of our family's resident bully) ask me, "So, when are you going to get a traditional, real job?"  Ouch.

Tutoring is a real job - it is my chosen career.  A career that I love.  

I was offended and, even though I said that I *did* have a "real job," I wish I could have said more to defend myself.  The truth is, I was hurt and flustered from what felt like a criticism of my career choice.  


Any ideas what I can say the next time I have someone ask me about my tutoring career?
Thanks,
Anonymous

Answer: Hi, there, Anonymous.  First of all, I am really sorry that you had to go through that.  Family members, well meaning or otherwise, often say some pretty off the wall things that have the potential to be really hurtful. 

The good news is - you were completely right!  

Tutoring is, indeed, a career choice (just like someone choosing to be an investment banker, artist, musician, coach, teacher, etc.).

When I was in high school I knew, without a doubt, that I wanted to be a tutor.  It was fun helping the other students out, I made some extra money, and  I improved my own grades by brushing up on the material.  


Thirty years later that excitement about tutoring hasn't waned - it is still a fantastic career!


As for the "traditional" job part - what could be more traditional than tutoring?  It was the only method of teaching back in ancient times.  That's pretty traditional if you ask me!

Getting back to the modern era...To be a tutor, a person must have a passion for learning, dedication to career development, the ability to be patient, an enthusiasm for academic material, and the ability to listen and lead a discussion.  It is, in essence, teaching on a much more personal, one-on-one level.


Tutoring is rewarding, too, on every level - including the financial level.  Anyone who defines a "successful" career as one that pays well (I won't even get into how I feel about that :-) , will be pleased to know that dedicated, driven tutors bring in a very good salary.   

In fact, like many freelance style careers, the earning potential of tutoring is unlimited!   A yearly salary comparable to other (more "traditional") professions is the norm.

Even better, during both a recession and times of prosperity, freelancers continue to stay ahead of the curve with job security.   I never had to worry about getting laid off, since I was not about to lay off myself! :-)  

All joking aside, I had a few clients drop off for a while, but the overall job stability and income level stayed pretty constant throughout the bumpy economy.  


Most importantly, if you love what you do, and you love to tutor - embrace it, and be proud of what you do!

As always - happy tutoring! 

**********************************************
Photo credit: ba1969 ©
http://www.sxc.hu/profile/ba1969

No comments:

Post a Comment