Friday, June 4, 2010

Ask Micki: Stickers or no stickers?

Question:  Okay, Micki, my friend (also a tutor) and I are having a friendly debate about something, and we thought we'd ask you to make the final call!

I tutor mostly first and second grade kids in language, history, and French.  I hand out short worksheets to the kids when I tutor them so that they can keep up with the work, and so that they can stay practiced in between tutoring sessions. 

When I get them back, if the tutee has done a great job, the paper gets a smiley face sticker.  I loved stickers as a kid, so I assumed my kid tutees would like them as well.  They always seem excited to see the happy face sticker smiling up at them, signaling a job well done.

My friend (who tutors high school students), on the other hand, thinks that first and second graders are too old to like stickers, and that I should just write "good job" on the paper instead. 

Please, Micki, settle this once and for all!

Thank you,
Fiona in Seattle

Answer: NOT like stickers?! Blasphemy! :)

All joking aside, I am in my mid 30s and I *still* love stickers, as do the kids I tutor.  There's just something great about a bright spot of cheery color on an otherwise drab worksheet that makes you feel that the job you did was extra well done. 

Sometimes, I've even been known to go for stickers other than the happy face - dinosaurs, flowers, space themed stickers, and underwater life all seem to be winners.

That being said, if you do encounter a kid who is "too cool" for stickers, write something positive on his or her paper instead.  Save the sticker for the kid who really enjoys it!

Hope I was able to help - Happy tutoring!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo Credit: jaylopez©
http://www.sxc.hu/profile/jaylopez

No comments:

Post a Comment