Sunday, June 26, 2011

Field Notes: ESL Tutor Field Trips

I recently returned from a field trip that I took with a few of my ESL tutees, and I just had to share my great experience with my fellow tutors!

I tutor a small group of ESL students in very beginning English.  We're still working on basic vocabulary and grammar, and I am always looking for ways to keep the ESL tutoring fresh and fun.  I know how boring ESL can get, as I was an ESL student many, many years ago. 

Anyway, a while back, I wrote in this blog about realia, and the fun of bringing "stuff" into your ESL tutor sessions.  Well, yesterday I took that a step further, and 3 of my students and I took a trip to the local farmers market.  It was great, and we had a blast!

The benefits of planning out an ESL field trip like this were many.  It gave my ESL tutees:

1) The opportunity to practice their vocabulary with the vendors.  Buying fruits, vegetables, and other items allowed my students the opportunity to brush up on (and practice) their vocabulary.  They were able to practice known words while picking up new words and phrases.  I made sure that each of them had their vocabulary books with them so that they could write down the new words and phrases.

2) A chance to practice their conversational skills and grammar in a casual social setting.  Being able to converse with one another in English, talk to the farmers market vendors, speak with other shoppers, and talk to me in a relaxed environment gave my ESL tutees the chance to relax and enjoy their new language skills.  Each of them came to me afterward, and told me how easy it was to practice speaking English when they felt comfortable and excited about what they were seeing at the market.

3) An opportunity to take the idea of realia to the next level.  Pictures of fruit can be pretty, but it is no substitute for the real thing.  Seeing, touching, and smelling the fruit is a sure fire way to get the physical piece of fruit, and the vocabulary word, linked together permanently in the mind.

4) An opportunity to work with money.  Paying for goods, receiving change, and figuring out costs in US dollars was a great exercise that my ESL students were excited about.  This part of the day made me happy for all of that realia "play" money we had worked with together! It was great to see my students feeling so confident.   

5) The chance to get to know one another a bit better.  While my students and I talked over lunch, we all had the opportunity to learn more about one another.  This is invaluable, and will undoubtedly make us all more relaxed (and ready to learn) during our next ESL tutoring session.

We had a great day together.  My ESL tutees learned new words and phrases, they had the opportunity to practice their new English skills, and they gained confidence in conversation.  Plus, it was just good, old fashioned fun!  The next time any of you ESL tutors have a session, try taking your lessons on the road.  You'll be glad you did! 

Tammy (still from WI :)

3 comments:

Tutoring Match said...

Sometimes it's great to get out of the typical tutoring environment. Using skills in the real world is really the only way that they will develop.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this information regarding ESL and hope everybody will like this

Geometry Tutoring said...

Now really i got a nice help from this which i was looking since many days
Thanks for this
Chicago Tutoring

Post a Comment