Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Ask Micki: Focus or no focus?

© ljleavell
Question: Hi there, Micki. I'm a new tutor who is excited about getting started in the business.  I've tutored my first few people, and enjoyed every minute of it.  I like working with people of all different ages and levels of understanding. The challenge is fun, and it keeps my job interesting. 

Problem for me is that I'm having trouble choosing a tutoring focus. 

Most of my friends who tutor are "college level English tutors," "junior high algebra tutors," "high school chemistry tutors," or some other specific type of tutor.

Me, on the other hand, I have been bouncing around between math and chemistry at all levels, elementary school all the way through college. 

How do I narrow in and choose a single focus for my tutoring? Do I need to? Will it help my tutoring business down the road if I make a choice to narrow in on a certain kind of tutoring?

Thanks,
Jay from CA

Answer: Hi, Jay, thanks for the question!

My shortest answer for your question is, "Nope!"
But let me give you the longer version of my answer, too.  :-)

Right now, you are in a great tutoring situation.  You possess the enthusiasm for tutoring, you like tutoring all levels, you have a knowledge of two often troublesome subjects for students (math and chemistry), and you enjoy the ability to assist students at all grade levels.  I'd say you are doing well just the way you are working things now. 

Not everyone is comfortable tutoring certain age groups (kids, junior high students, adults, etc.), and not everyone is comfortable tutoring certain knowledge levels (beginning, advanced, etc.).  You, on the other hand, seem comfy tutoring at pretty much any age and any level - that is a strength, for sure, and will only benefit you in the tutoring profession. 

As for your tutoring business, I'd say the more people you can help, the better off you are (for a host of reasons - the joy of helping others, being able to assist a wide array of students, an increase in business due to your varied level focus, etc.).  So don't change a thing.

In other words...Get out there and tutor whoever, and whatever, you'd like! 

Good luck, and happy tutoring!

-------------------
Photo credit:
© sxc.hu/ljleavell
http://www.sxc.hu/profile/ljleavell

No comments:

Post a Comment