Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Field Notes: Sports Tutoring

I wanted to share an experience that I recently had with my tutee that I thought might help or inspire other tutors out there. 

First of all, my name is Jaimille, and I usually tutor science subjects to middle school and high school students.  I'm also an ice skater, and skated semi-pro for a few years.  The two are related, I promise!

Anyway, I was talking to one of my tutees and her mom a few months ago, and the subject of ice skating came up in the conversation.  My tutee's mom asked if I would be willing to teach her daughter (my tutee) how to ice skate.  She had wanted to learn for a lot of years, but gets really nervous in large group class settings when it comes to sports. 

Honestly, at first I almost said no.  Then I thought back to something I read right here on the blog.  It was about branching outside of your tutoring "comfort zone," and tutoring non-traditional subjects that fall outside your standard set of tutoring subjects. 

So, I said yes, and my tutee and I started meeting once a week for biology, and once a week for ice skating.

It has been a phenomenal experience!

Almost instantly we worked more effectively together during the biology tutoring; I think it was because we were having fun and bonding on the ice. 

Our communication improved (both on and off the ice), we were having fun while learning, and my tutee seemed much more focused and enthusiastic.

Overall, it has been a great experience, and I am thrilled that I said yes.  I would definitely recommend it to other tutors.  If you get a chance to tutor non-traditional subjects, whether it's music, dance, sports, etc., definitely go for it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment