Monday, December 13, 2010

Ask Micki: Holiday gift giving

© iprole
Question: Hi, Micki. I was hoping for an answer to a quick question about the holiday season and gift giving advice for tutors. 

I tutor the sciences, mostly chemistry, to high school and college students.  However, I do have a few young science tutees who are in elementary school.

I want to get my tutees something for the holiday season, but I am not sure what to get them.  Plus, I am wondering if it is even an appropriate to buy my tutees gifts.  Is it an acceptable gesture?

Lastly, I am a college student myself, and a broke student at that, so I need gifts that cost under $5 each, since I have 11 tutees to buy for this year.

Thanks, and happy holidays,
Victor from NY

Answer: Happy holidays to you, too, Victor, and thanks for the question!

In short, I'd say - Yes! Buying a small gift for each of your tutees will be an unexpected, and very appreciated gesture. 

The good news - little holiday gifts need not cost more than about $5 each.  To be honest, it is generally more appropriate that they be small tokens of appreciation rather than lavish, expensive gifts, so the $5 mark you set is very reasonable.

Here's a few ideas that I have used in the past for my tutees during the holiday season.  Each has the official Micki guarantee, too - my tutees loved these!

• Gift card - this can be to one of their favorite coffee houses, a local restaurant, a toy store, or a nearby bookstore.  True, the dollar amount isn't high, but it will be enough to buy a much appreciated cup of coffee, a sandwich, a small educational toy, or a new paperback.  Also great is the fact that gift card are easy to wrap, fun to receive, and very portable.

• Themed pencils/pens/highlighters/crayons/markers - check out your local office supply store for holiday themed writing implements that will put your tutee into the holiday spirit.  "Best gift ever!" was what I heard when I gave one of my smiling 9 year old tutees a set of holiday scented pencils. She loved them!

• Other themed office supplies - while you are at the office supply store (or online), keep an eye out for erasers, notebooks, file folders, sticker, or any other cheery, holiday themed office supplies.

• Travel mugs - these can often be found on sale for around $5, and my tutees have always liked receiving these.

 • Learning aids - these can be great if you know what your tutee needs.  Do you have a 10 year old studying botany? Go for a learning aid related to plant growth.  Have a tutee who loves dinosaurs? Pick up a wooden dinosaur puzzle.  Tutoring a college student in beginning chemistry? Opt for a study guide or laminated study card.

Anyone else have any great tutee gift ideas?  Mention them in the comments section, and help Victor out with some great ideas!

Good luck with the shopping trip, and happy tutoring!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo credit:
© sxc.hu/iprole

1 comment:

Becky said...

I have always had a GREAT response when I give out a small gift card to each of my tutees, along with a card letting them know how proud I am of their achievements during our tutoring time together. Not a new idea, just letting you know that the gift card idea is a really good one :)

Post a Comment