Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Ask Micki: What to do?

© andreyutzu
Question: Hi, Micki, I need some assistance figuring out a situation with a tutee. 

Here's what's up. I have a tutee who is a good friend of mine.  I have tutored her in math for the past 3 years, algebra, geometry, and trigonometry.

Now, she has moved on to both a pre-calculus and a statistics course.  The pre-calculus is no problem at all.  We're working together with it, and it is going well.

The statistics class is another story, and I have to admit that I am lost.  Like, completely lost.  I have no idea about any of the concepts, and just don't feel comfortable at all tutoring her.  What can I do? 

Will it ruin our tutoring relationship if I find her another tutor? I know a student who is great with stat, and would be a good fit for my tutee's personality and schedule.  I just don't know if I should go for it or not.  Is it an unprofessional thing to do in the tutoring world?

Thanks,
Janet H.


Answer: Hi there, Janet! I think it is great that you have worked with your tutee for 3 years, and that you two have had such a successful tutoring relationship for so long - congrats! 

I also think that it is admirable that you put enough energy and care into your tutoring sessions that you recognize when it is time to refer your tutee to another tutor, and take the time to make it happen. 

The short answer?  Definitely give her that referral!

It is considered very professional to refer within the tutoring world.  Not only that, referrals between tutors are encouraged, and help to strengthen the professional tutoring community as a whole.  You want the best for your tutee, and if that means finding another tutor who can help her more effectively, that is the most professional thing you can do for her.

So refer away!  Your tutee will appreciate it, the referred tutor will appreciate it, and you will be happy sticking to tutoring pre-calculus.  Everyone wins!
----------------------
Photo Credit: © sxc.hu/andreyutzu
http://www.sxc.hu/profile/andreyutzu

No comments:

Post a Comment