Monday, September 27, 2010

Field Notes: Keeping my 8 year old tutee motivated.

When I saw the new field notes category, I couldn't help but be excited about posting something! 

What I want to share with all of you fellow tutors out there is a sure fire way to keep kids motivated while tutoring.  It has been working well for me for years.

Not only does this motivational technique work during tutoring, but it also keeps my tutee enthusiastic and on track in between tutoring sessions. 

The answer for me: charts and prizes.

Whenever I tutor my 8 year old tutee, we make sure to mark it on her chart with a little star sticker.  I carry the star stickers with me to every tutoring session, and I leave 4 charts - one for each week - with her mom.  I also leave a sheet of star stickers with my tutee's mom.

Whenever my tutee does the "in between" work (a worksheet that I leave for her to finish), her mom gives her chart another star.  She also gets a star for every book she reads in between our tutoring sessions (I tutor her in reading).  She can get up to 5 stars every week.

Then, she can "cash in" her chart for prizes at the end of the week, or collect them until she has a bunch of stars.  If my tutee has 5 stars, she can get a scented pencil, for 10 stars she can get a set of scented erasers, and so on.  Right now my tutee is saving up all of her stars in order to cash them in for a $10 gift certificate.

She has a lot of fun earning stars, and it definitely keeps her motivated to keep up with the learning!

Becca C., MN

No comments:

Post a Comment