Thursday, May 6, 2010

Tips from Charlie: Never too old to learn

Hi, all!  Just wanted to relay a really great experience I had a few days ago.

I got a call over the weekend from an elderly gentleman (87 years "young" he tells me!).  He asked me about math tutoring, inquired about my rates, etc.  Long story short, we set up an appointment to meet this past Wednesday. 

Now this may make me seem a bit close-minded, but for the first half of our phone conversation, I had assumed that the tutoring would be for his grandchild.  You see, Hank* had mentioned that this math tutoring was for a college course that would eventually lead to a degree in agriculture.  Hank also mentioned that it was a Sophmore level course.  Hearing the words "college," "degree," and "Sophmore," I am ashamed to admit that I jumped to the conclusion that Hank was seeking help for a 18-20 year old grandchild. 

I was completely and utterly wrong.

Hank (who is now officially one of my heroes!), decided last year, at the age of 86, to finally go back to school and get his Bachelor's degree.  In my opinion, that takes a lot of drive, a hefty dose of courage, and a huge amount of passion. 

Hank is officially one of the coolest college kids I know :)


* Name changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment