Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Field Notes: Math Flashcards

When I found this blog, I knew that I had to write a quick post to sing the praises of flash cards for tutoring math - they are phenomenal, and my tutees and I love it when we use them.

Why?
Easy! They are easy to personalize, can be changed based on my student's math level at the time, and are economical enough that I have a set of math flash cards for every student I tutor. 

So how do I use them, and do they work?
Well, first let me tell you a little about my tutees - I tutor math to 2nd-5th grade kids.  Not exactly a thrilled bunch when it comes to doing math problems.  I knew I needed something more entertaining than their math class books and practice assignments.

So, I talked to each kid I tutored, and figured out some of his or her interests.  Then, I personalized each set of flashcards with pictures and stickers of their favorite subjects.  One of my tutees loves horses, so her flashcards are horse themed. 

Of course, all of the flash cards also reflect the level of math tutoring that we are working on at the time.  Using the horse flashcards as an example: my tutee is working on multiplication and division.  So, along with pictures and stickers of horses, each card features a multiplication problem or a division problem.  Putting the flashcards couldn't be any easier, and my tutees really seem to enjoy them.

I have also noticed some positive changes since I began using these flashcards a few months ago.  My tutees became a lot more interested in math tutoring, and their grades improved.  It's been great for all of us, and I even earned a nickname from one of my students - "The Flashcard Lady." :)

No comments:

Post a Comment