Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Ask Micki: Yes or No?

© sxc.hu/ba1969
Question: Hey, Micki, I need a quick answer to a question about prizes and tutoring rewards.  I tutor kids in English, mostly elementary school students in grammar, spelling, etc. 

Since most of my tutees are under the age of 11, they are still excited about stickers, pencils, toys, etc.  I was thinking that it may be a good idea to implement some prizes or rewards for my young tutees, but my friend said that you should never bribe kids.

Help!
Alan from PA

Answer: Hey there, Alan, thanks for the question.  First of all, I have to say, that even as a full grown woman, I still love stickers, pencils, and toys, so you are never too old for the fun stuff - it never goes out of style!

Second, little prizes and rewards for your young tutees are definitely not the same thing as a bribe.  A bribe, in the spirit of the word, is a way of controlling another person (typically making him or her going against his or her ethical beliefs) by promising money or goods. 

Providing prizes, on the other hand, is a way of rewarding great behavior, good study habits, and enthusiastic learning.  In other words, prizes are similar to a raise at work, or a medal for winning a competition - they act as rewards, and help enforce good behavior. Nothing wrong with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment