Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Field Notes: Reward System Success!

I just wanted to check in here and let all of my fellow tutors know about something that I have been using with a lot of success over the past few months.  Rewards!

See, I tutor little kids, mostly in reading and music, and I had a few tutees who were just not very excited about learning.  When I say not excited, what I really mean is, dragging their feet, "why-do-I-have-to-do-this?!, bummed out kids. 

I tried making the tutoring more entertaining by adding fun worksheets, keeping the mood light, etc.  But, hey, there's only so much you can do, right?  Then I read a post here about rewards and prizes.  I was immediately enthusiastic about the whole idea, and rushed out to my local office store to pick out some little prizes.

I also printed out the little reward sheets to keep track of tutoring sessions, and homework, worksheets, etc. completed by my students.

Well, you wouldn't believe it, but the turn around from even my most difficult little tutees was incredible.  Suddenly, they were all excited about learning, and every single one of my young tutees asks me to see the reward sheet so that they can see how close they are to "getting a prize.'

For the cost of some novelty erasers, pens, pencils, and stickers, I have a group of very excited, young tutees who show up to every session ready (and enthusiastic) to learn!

Stacy, M. from SC

No comments:

Post a Comment