Monday, April 12, 2010

Ask Micki: Bad Time to Start a Tutoring Business?

Question: Hi, Micki.  I have a question that started out as a friendly debate between my friend and me.

I really want to start a home-based tutoring business.  It has actually been a dream of mine for quite a few years, and I am finally in a position to start it.  My friend, on the other hand, thinks that it is a terrible time to start a tutoring business, and thinks I should wait another year. 

What do you think?
Thanks!
Jeffrey S., LA

Answer:  The short answer to your question is: Yes! It is always a great time to start a tutoring business, either online or in-person.  Whether the economy is good or not so good, freelance tutoring always does well. 

In terms of tutoring as a career choice, it is a rewarding path to take.  Tutoring (online or in-person) is a great home business to start, because you get to help tutees achieve their learning goals and work hours that are convenient for you.

In terms of business and finance, tutoring is an excellent business to establish because of the low start up costs, low overhead costs, and ease of advertising your tutoring services.  Besides learning the basics of good tutoring, you will also need a passion for the profession, and some general office supplies.

In short, I say, "go for it!" The economy may not always be good, but if you pursue your dream of beginning a tutoring business (and really put in 100%) you will undoubtedly be successful.

Good luck and, as always, happy tutoring!

No comments:

Post a Comment