Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Ask Micki: Sports Tutoring

Question: Hi, Micki. I have a question about possibly tutoring a non-traditional subject.

I coach for a local little league team, and was recently contacted about tutoring a sport (baseball pitching, to be exact), but I have no clue if this is something that falls under the realm of tutoring, if it is possible, how much I should charge, etc. Any advice on this? Thanks!

~ Coach, math tutor, and science tutor from So. Cal.

Answer: You sound like one busy person! I would say, without a doubt, a big resounding YES, go for it! If you are helping someone learn a skill, then I would consider it tutoring - since you have an athlete with a need to learn better pitching techniques, you are acting as a tutor for that skill.

I have talked to a lot of tutors over the past few years who have tutored basketball, the physics of baseball, water polo, ice skating...pretty much every sport under the sun will have potential "tutees" who need to improve their skills.

As far as what to charge, my advice would be to stick with your typical rates, and treat this job exactly like any other tutoring gig. Think of it like this - you'll be the exact same professional, friendly tutor, charging an appropriate rate, except instead of meeting at a table, you'll be meeting on the field.

Good luck, and happy tutoring!

No comments:

Post a Comment