Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Ask Micki: Question from a writing tutor

Question: Hi, Micki. My question is regarding not doing your tutee’s homework. I am a writing tutor and a lot of my tutees want to “go over” papers they have written prior to turning them in. I get the feeling that some of them want me to review their work and correct it for them. I don’t want them turning in my work, but I still want to help them with their paper. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Alfred N.


Answer: Hi, Alfred. Thanks for your question. What you are describing is a very common scenario for writing tutors; I've even run across the problem myself from time to time. Here is a technique that is used regularly by seasoned writing tutors:

Read through your tutee’s paper and make mental notes on any common or recurring errors made.

Put the paper aside and address each error one at a time.

Discuss any rules or techniques for dealing with the particular error. Have your tutee practice the new skill, and when you are convinced that they are ready, move on to the next problem area.

Finally, return to their paper, but this time, have them read it, identify any errors that you previously addressed, and suggest corrections to their paper.

This technique allows you to identify and address a tutee’s weaknesses, while at the same time allowing them to take responsibility for their own work.

Good luck, and as always, happy tutoring!

No comments:

Post a Comment