Friday, May 8, 2009

Resources for Writing Tutors

As a writing tutor, I’m always looking for ways to liven up my tutoring sessions. Let’s face it, when it comes to writing, there are a lot of rules and exceptions to learn. Pretty dry stuff!
I often use colorful handouts. They are visually more exciting than hand written notes, plus my tutees can keep them for future reference. But even my handouts get stale over time. It really doesn’t matter how cool they look. Ultimately, they are just more material for my tutees to read and memorize. There is nothing engaging about a paper handout.
Enter technology. Except for word processing software on computers, I’ve never been a big fan of technology. I generally find myself spending more time trying to figure out how to use it rather than actually using it. I’d rather do things the old fashion way and save myself the frustration. Well that all changed, at least as far as my tutoring goes, a couple of months ago.
I was talking with another writing tutor about her views on handouts. I was hoping for some fresh ideas and she gave me a great one: Grammar Bytes. It is a website that covers tons of writing topics.
Examples and explanations are presented along with interactive practice questions. For some reason my tutees prefer the web over paper handouts. In fact, I now regularly use this site to motivate tutees to familiarize themselves with a topic before we meet! It is a lot more productive.
Grammar Bytes can be found at: http://www.chompchomp.com/exercises.htm.
I’m now on the lookout for more of these kinds of resources!
~ Katie M.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Katie is a certified tutor and has been tutoring writing for over 10 years. Her work load spans generations, from elementary school students to elderly ESL tutees. Thanks, Katie, for this fantastic contribution to the ITA blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment