Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Ask Micki: Sale on tutoring?

© sxc.hu/Thoursie
Question: Hi, I have a question that deals with the business side of tutoring.

Is it inappropriate to offer sales or promotions for tutoring services?

Here's my idea: I'd like to have a "Back to school" type of deal where I give parents 20% off of my tutoring services.  It would be for tutoring appointments in September only, and would last from September 1st through the end of September.  Is this a good idea? Bad idea? Inappropriate in any way?

Thank you so much for your help!
Becky Anne from MI


Answer: Hi, Becky Anne -  This is a great idea!  Everyone loves a deal, and offering a discount for your tutoring services is not inappropriate at all.  I have heard from a lot of tutors who have done this, and they all report great success with the technique!

Plus, the fact that you are making this an exciting, focused ("Back to School"), limited time promotion almost guarantees success.

On another note, you are also doing your tutees a favor.  With the economy being like it is right now, I know that your tutoring parents will really appreciate the break in cost, especially with all of the other back to school expenses looming overhead.

Good luck with your sale, and stop by when you get a chance to let us know how it worked out for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment