Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Peer Tutoring: Tip 1

Hi ITA Blog readers, Charlie the tutor here with part 1 of my 8 part tip series for peer tutoring. Why peer tutoring, you ask?

Well, I got the idea from one of my tutees. He's a Sophmore in high school, and has just been asked to be a peer tutor for his school. It's pretty cool that a kid I've been tutoring since he was in the 5th grade is now going to be a tutor himself!

Anyway, he asked me about tips for peer tutors, and I thought it'd be a great idea to share them here, too, for other peer tutors to read. The ideas can be applied to pretty much any peer tutoring situation.

So, without further ado, here is the first (and probably easiest!) tip for peer tutors.

Tip #1: Get to know your tutee.
Talk to your tutee, find out what he/she likes, ask about hobbies and interests, talk about favorite academic subjects, ask about preferred names/nicknames...basically, talk to your tutee the way you would talk to a new friend. Don't get too personal, but do a good job of putting your tutee at ease before tutoring even begins.

Getting to know your tutee on a more casual and personal level can make tutoring a lot more enjoyable and a lot more effective.

That's it for Tip #1 (told you it was an easy one!), but I'll be back tomorrow with tip #2.

No comments:

Post a Comment