Saturday, January 2, 2010

Ask Micki: How to Price Tutoring Services

Question: Hi, Micki. I am a new tutor (just got my ITA certification, and have been tutoring elementary school-high school math for a few weeks), and I am having a hard time pricing my tutoring services. I don't want to overcharge for tutoring, but I also don't want to price myself so low that I am looked at as a bargain tutor who isn't good enough to be competitively priced. Any tips?

Thanks!
Amy, a new tutor

Answer: Hi, Amy, thanks for the question! Pricing can be a tricky thing for tutors, especially when they are just starting their tutoring career. On one hand, you don't want to price yourself too low and give the impression that your tutoring is not worth a higher price (not to mention the fact that it would be hard to make a living as a tutor if you charged rock bottom prices). On the other hand, you don't want to charge so much that no one can afford your tutoring.

Generally, about $25-$35 an hour is pretty standard, but I have talked to a few tutors who charge upwards of $70 per hour. Likewise, I have talked to a few tutors who charge lower rates ($17-$20/hour) for friends and family.

Usually, a good guideline is that the more difficult the subject matter, the higher the price.

So, a tutor who tutors a college student in Linear Algebra or calculus will typically charge more than a tutor who tutors a first grader in fractions.

Your rate can also vary by region - I notice that tutors in college towns and larger cities usually charge a bit more than tutors who work in smaller, more rural communities.

Good luck, and as always - Happy Tutoring!

1 comment:

GadgetGuy said...

Hey! Just wanted to chime in on this, I'm right in those fee ranges myself. I tutor kids in basic computer skills and charge the parents $25-$35/hr. When I tutor adults in more complex programming, I charge $50-$60/hr.

Post a Comment